Friday, March 12, 2010

Arise

Clearly MDF has eaten my soul.
Please come to the show(s) to see what the fuss is all about.
This is reposted from my blog. I quite like it and would like to see what you all have to say.

It is entirely made up of 'I remember's and 'I know you do's.
The worst things are brought up, though we do (bravo) attempt to step around them. Uneasy topics, familiar talking points: Swings, cake, golf. Random words and phrases that manage to slip between the cracks of everything said. Eye contact lasting for split-seconds, (like a flash of light) a flash of acknowledgement.
We acknowledge we are broken.
Quiet recantations of a past long forgotten. We feel the pieces, (in our eyes, against our tear ducts, but mostly pushing hard against our chests) the pieces of a scattered story slowly sliding back and forth into place.
I am not who you think I am; and though the similarities of the mold you’ve preserved within you are striking, I am not. You are far from the one I had wanted, distant even moreso from the person you wanted to be all those years ago.
You are scared, I am hesitant, and we are broken.
It is a reunion made up entirely of ‘I remember’s and ‘I know you do’s and for a moment and a moment only we realize simultaneously that memories and memories only are what we’ve managed to keep. Not our feelings, not our love, not our trust. Most especially not our trust. Not in ourselves, not in one another. In fact we trust only these untouchable memories we have worked and fought so hard to store in a place so deep and secret that even we ourselves have forgotten how to rid the other out of our hearts.
And there was a moment in time when I had cherished this fact, relished in the truth that you were who I wanted, I was who you thought I was and we were not broken. I tell you this. Tell you, 'I remember'
You reply, 'I know you do.'

1 comment:

Marta said...

I like the fact that you started off with the reunion as an "it" - it made me want to figure out what this it was exactly that was made up of these repeated words. I really love how you work in the dialogue when it's not really dialogue, and it just sort of floats around the piece in abstraction, and then you ground it so solidly at the end so that it creates a genuinely concrete conclusion. It's very strong.

I also liked the "swings, cake, golf" a lot. They were all such extremely unrelated and yet distinct words that evoked so much possibility of what kind of people they are and what kind of relationship they had together. It was such a short, simple line, but the most character-revealing and characteristic in the whole piece!

That being said, two of my favourite lines in terms of their awesomeness were "Random words and phrases that manage to slip between the cracks of everything said" (awesome imagery there!), and "We feel the pieces, (in our eyes, against our tear ducts, but mostly pushing hard against our chests) the pieces of a scattered story sliding back and forth into place" (such great specific sensory description, and I loved how the pieces slide "back and forth" into place and aren't just entirely out of place altogether; adds to the fucked-up-ness of their relationship because they're not together but they almost are and almost could be but it just keeps missing every time).

I really enjoyed this piece and the only thing I can say that could be an improvement is that I want it to be longer :) (if you want to make it longer, you could add some specific points of their relationship like showing the stories behind the words "swings, cake, golf")

But all in all very good! And I am most certainly coming to see your plays :D <3