Friday, October 23, 2009

love-sick

I'm sick of the love story lies, the happy-never-afters,
the false hopes and expectations.
I'm sick of the ignorant puppy eyes that only last a few hours,
till reality breaks in on them.
I'm sick of being told to wait for love, that one day a prince will come...
I've grown up and left fairy tales behind,
no thanks, I don't believe in love or magic wands.
I'm not and never will be a fair maiden for some shining knight.
Excuse me I have my own armour, and I don't need your sword.
I'm not going to sit here waiting, for some man to sweep me off my feet,
and into a corner. I won't be that damsel in distress.
I'll have my own happy-ever-after with or without you,
solo or paired, but I don't need to sing some lover's duet,
I won't be a wilted wallflower, waiting for a dance partner.
So I don't want your fake Hollywood happy ending,
I don't want that ridiculous white bridal gown.
I don't rely on anyone to make me happy
and I won't be given away.

So take back your frills and bows and hopes,
take away your stories, and fables and tales,
I don't care, and don't want to hear any more love songs.
I don't want any more advice.
I don't need an insignificant other to complete me;
I am a person, a being in my own right.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I have. A lot of favourite lines in this one. I'm trying to pick my favourite-favourite, but it's not working, so this is a long comment.
"no thanks, I don't believe in love or magic wands" is really neat; the putting of the two into the same category is both expected and jarring, because the poem is so bitter up to that and because it's still hard for me to think of love as fictional.
"I have my own armour" is a sad line - the concept of even needing armour is sad.
"for some man to sweep me off my feet,/and into a corner." is...possibly one of the best lines in the world. It's an awesome commentary.
"I'll have my own happily-ever-after with or without you" is a little surprising - the narrator is still open to the idea of being with someone despite all of the rest of the poem. I think I like it.
"don't need an insignificant other to complete me" = love,love,love,love. HA. Yes.
I...I approve. Maybe it's my frame of mind at the moment, but I REALLY approve of this piece.

tabs said...

'I have my own armour and I don't need your sword'

Loves that. Loves it so much and don't know why. It reads so nicely and would sound even better.
I feel like it's longer than it has to be though, that you hit a climax around 'I don't rely on anyone to make me happy and I won't be given away'. And then it sort of lags a little bit. Especially at the end with 'I love my single life', that sort of draws a new sort of story out of it?
Don't know.
I likes this! : )

Andrea said...

I like this a lot! "I'm not going to sit here waiting, for some man to sweep me off my feet/and into a corner" is by far my favourite line, along with "wilted wallflower."
I agree with Tabia though about the length. I think the poem could've ended with "and I won't be given away" - it's such a strong line and it says so much about how women are treated like men's possessions to give and take as they please.
This is a great poem. It's strong but not whiny at all. love!