Saturday, October 24, 2009

We Are Brain Twins, Separated At Birth

I can't keep having these conversations.
In fact, to keep me from imploding
I entertain the idea of myself appealing to you in the future and
That one day, we will be together,
But for now I listen to your rantings
About how cowardly you are and
How repulsive I truly am
Waiting for you to realize
That we were made for each other.
Specifically tailored to suit interests
Maybe not now,
But eventually.

That's the hopeful part of me.

(Alternate title: I Just Want a Promise About Us Growing Old on Porches With Shotguns in Our Rocking Chairs and Making Noise at The Kids Who Pass By, Hoping They Want to Be As Great As We Are When They Reach Our Age (The Fear of Abandonment))

6 comments:

Jessica said...

"specifically tailored to suit interests" is a delicious line. I'm not sure whether the pun is intended or not, buuuuut...it just makes it all the more awesome.
"That's the hopeful part of me" is nice, it colours the piece a little differently on a second reading, but it makes me wonder if there's a piece that ends, "This is the non-hopeful part of me."

Mike Carrozza said...

Actually, I was saving that one for the next post. (The non-hopeful)

Chasch said...

Everything Jessica said + *hug* + *rapes heart*

Emlyn said...

"specifically tailored to suit interests" is my favorite line also.
*hugs*

tabs said...

This...
You know what, I don't think I like this. I don't know why.
I think maybe it's that it's so broken up on the lines? Maybe this would have worked better as a narrative. Something just doesn't quite fit in it.
I like the alternate title more, this time! :P

Andrea said...

You and your epic titles! I love them both. I really like this poem and I agree that "specifically tailored to suit interests" is an awesome line. The whole idea of being matched in your faults is great.