Saturday, August 10, 2013

Scraps from My Notebook

[I haven't written anything solid since graduating, but hell, I might as well post something. Here's some notebook rambling for your entertainment.]



Pot has trained in me dumb-struck awe. I've learned to hang my mouth open and forget that I'm even thinking - everything is pure sense, and every once in a while an inane thought stumbles across my mind like a lopsided butterfly clutching his leg, screaming, "OH GOD IT'S BLEEDING! WHO MAKES BEAR TRAPS THIS SMALL?"

Maybe I ought to narrate to myself more, talk out loud.

Here's a typical scene. A character looking in the mirror, splashing water on their face, wondering, "How did I get here? How did it end up like this?"

I wonder if characters blow their noses and check the contents after.

I bet everyone has different standards for appraising their boogers.

3 comments:

Chasch said...

Win.

I love this: "Maybe I ought to narrate to myself more, talk out loud."

Also the buggers at the end. Love that.

This piece reminds me of when I walk around sometimes and I'm kind of narrating my life to myself in y head and debating things in my mind and then people give me a weird look and I wonder if I spoke aloud by accident...

Marta said...

Yeah, agree with Charles on that one. Just scattered enough to get the flow-of-consciousness ring without being hipster. Love the blending of the fourth wall where it's kinda an authorial diary entry, kinda a character piece, but then adding in the metaphysical layer of having the character contemplate the character. Nice. Almost want to see this expanded, or have a series of these kind of vignettes. Could be fun!

Love the boogers ^ ^

Chasch said...

It has become apparent that I cannot spell the word "booger."