Sunday, October 7, 2012

Expect (something I wrote on the train the other day)

I've been told I expect too much, maybe I'm to supposed to hold everyone to the same moral standards, the same values that I hold myself to, but is it asking for respect too much, asking for human decency asking for some degree of tolerance asking for understanding asking for truth from the representatives we've chosen asking for recognition of this SHARED human condition asking for acceptance of natural differences skin comes in all colors of the rainbow, like eyes and hair and who I want to touch me there because really is that any of your business? I didn't think I was asking too much but some people think otherwise some people don't truly see past their eyes but where are there minds where are their souls what will they do when their daughters want abortions and their sons bring home boyfriends what will they say about gay-rights and being pro-life then when these realities are brought home, when it's someone close, sometimes it's different then...or not and they throw the kids out but maybe just maybe it'll introduce doubt, that maybe they don't really know what it's all about that maybe it's not all as clean cut straight line between black and white and right and wrong as they had thought, and hey, maybe you'll begin to accept that your son likes dick and your daughter`s last sexual partner was a prick and she doesn't have to carry the cells that he left in her body that could possibly form a child, and maybe she'll want to bring home a girlfriend and yes they are having sex and maybe you'll accept that, but oh I expect I`m being too hopeful, too optimistic too willing to believe that everyone has that ability in them, to love and accept regardless of differences. I guess I can only expect that of myself and I do and if my daughter would rather be a boy then that`s cool with me and if my son wants his bedroom pink that`s perfectly alright and if both my kids are straight and not queer in the slightest and love their gender norms I`ll love them anyway because gay or straight or any place you fall on the sexual preference spectrum on the gender identity curve I will love you with every piece of my patchwork soul and I will want you to expect the same from yourself.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

There are some great moments in here! I love the sneaky rhymes you throw in, and the phrase "patchwork soul" is great. The whole piece feels like, with some trimming and some tightening, it could be an amazing piece of spoken-word. There's a great cadence here, a really powerful rhythm that I think would translate well to speech.