Friday, September 21, 2012

Spleen, or How Bad You're Not

Here is me reading a terrible poem. I don't have anything to submit of my own at the moment, though if it counts as producing work of any kind, I did in fact draw the picture on the video just for this. Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you as a (re)commencement post! Long live HeartRape!




Spleen by Ernest Dowson
for Arthur Symons

I was not sorrowful, I could not weep,
And all my memories were put to sleep.

I watched the river grow more white and strange,
All day till evening I watched it change.

All day till evening I watched the rain
Beat wearily upon the window pane.

I was not sorrowful, but only tired
Of everything that ever I desired.

Her lips, her eyes, all day became to me
The shadow of a shadow utterly.

All day mine hunger for her heart became
Oblivion, until the evening came,

And left me sorrowful, inclined to weep,
With all my memories that could not sleep.

[1896]

5 comments:

Chasch said...

Welcome back to heartrape indeed! Thanks for the awful poem, it was almost as bad as Amanda McKittrick Ros!

Chasch said...

What the hell, here's some of her prose:

"Speak! Irene! Wife! Woman! Do not sit in silence and allow the blood that now boils in my veins to ooze through cavities of unrestrained passion and trickle down to drench me with its crimson hue!"

Marta said...

Oh jesus I had a massive case of lolzing right there.

Chasch said...

Yeah, she's awful. The Inklings used to have contests of who could read her stuff aloud longest without laughing.

I think you're late 19th century poet is quite awful though. "I was not sorrowful, but only tired /
Of everything that ever I desired" are words that should never come out of a professional writer...

Andrea said...

LOL oh my word, this is wonderful. I believe you've uncovered the first of the emos XD "I watched the rain / beat wearily upon the window pane" hahaha And that bit of Kittrick's prose is just hilarious. I like this idea of dramatic readings. Can we please do more dramatic readings??

Also, speaking of horrible emo poems, Marta we MUST post the poem we wrote for Tabia!!