Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Superluminal (Version III)

[A redo of my first HeartRape post ever! Original found here.]



II.
It comforts her to say that her life remains unchanged. She wakes on her side of the bed, showers, dresses, eats, arrives at work at the punctual hour. She finds time passes no slower than before. When she arrives at her cubicle she is greeted by her neighbour with the customary grunt; at the lunch table her coworkers speak the same mundane babble without noticing a profound change in her, and so that must mean that there is no profound change to be noticed. Even her fingers are unaware of turmoil, flitting across the touch screen with as much assuredness as the week before, like pistons on a train, propelling her forward. When she returns home, it is as still and empty as when she left it. That these things persist without alteration is proof that past events are no great harm done in the grand scheme of things. The past can be put in the past so long as one slogs forward.

I.
The table was glass and she noticed the flecks of grease across its surface, dried now into small opaque stars in a translucent sky, flung from the mouth of a famished god, starch worm wriggling into a puckered worm hole. She saw also the smears and, looking closer, the minute lines drawn by the ridges of his finger pads, and the concluding whorl. And these were like spinning galaxies leaving trails behind them of their unique existence. And even closer on a microcosmic scale she saw the globules of oil, intermittent deposits through time, sticky and insoluble. And as she stared down at the bottomless glass he took her hand. She pulled away.
“That’s a really long time,” she said.
“I know.”
He glanced down and they gazed into the universe together. They perceived the timeline of a thousand shared meals and a thousand wax drippings from a thousand lit candles, their light overwhelmed by a unified gust, and they saw in the dark of space some remnant flickering until the last flame reflected in their eyes was snuffed out by darkness. He gripped a little harder.
“The irony,” he said, “is that at the same time, it’ll only be five years…”
“For you,” she said.
“Yes.”
“And what am I supposed to do?”
He huffed his chest. Contemplated a spaghetti stain.
“Whatever you want to do, I guess.”



“Then I’ll wait for you.”
“You can’t. You’ll be waiting your whole life – for nothing. It’s impossible.”


“But if you can travel forward through time, can’t you go back?”
“It’s not the same.”



“It’s not so easy.”

VII.
She turns her back to his side of the bed, certain she feels his warm shadow there.

III.
The colony suffers a minor power surge. Artificial gravity offline. She sits above her armchair, legs gently brushing the fabric. She is awash in white light. Watches the news:
“‘We can assure you that this is nothing more than a minor disturbance, caused by a small solar flare, not a warhead—this is not an attack.’”
The framed photograph glides through the air like a mote in suspension. His plump smile turns to the screen. In uniform, he salutes the President. She stares with moist apprehension.

IV.
She has decided to take up knitting. She buys a holo-tutor, scours an antique store for the needles. Cannot find yarn.
“Knitting is an archaic craft,” states the holo-tutor, “sustained by a few devoted hobbyists on and around the globe. However, knitting circles are more commonly found planetside, where the craft possesses deep roots in some traditional Terrestial cultures.”
The needles themselves are ancient. She traces with her eyes the dark brown warbling rings of the wood, the stretch marks of time. This tree was alive, once. It seems so prehistoric.
“A novice may find it difficult to procure yarn at an affordable price, particularly in the colonies, due to high exportation costs. However, yarn can be salvaged by unravelling knit sweaters.”

V.
She stirs pasta in a pot, attempting to break its sticky bonds. It becomes a heavy, entangled mass, a ball of yarn with a dozen loose ends. There is too much starch in the water, viscous and grey. She tells herself that she might as well cook the whole pack, no sense in leaving just a few strands behind, save herself from cooking again later, what if she wants another plate, might as well make extra, just in case…
As she stirs the clock pauses a moment, timid. It quickly steps into the next minute.
“Is someone there?”
A warm, familiar smell. She hears footsteps approach from behind.
“Cooking the pasta wrong.” A rumbling laugh, a deep breath. “Same as always…”

VIII.
She finds, abandoned at the back of the closet, a man’s sweater.

IX.
She unravels.

XI.
“Want to talk to her, Tony? Don’t you have something to say?” – a woman’s voice, garbled somewhere between Iowa and Lagrange Point 3, by a surveillance satellite, perhaps. She hears shuffling as the phone is brusquely shoved into Tony’s hand, clattering against the newest handheld gaming device. She hears the tinny music, the rush of vehicles through space, chasing stars.
“Thank you, Aunt Marla.”
Pew pew pew.
(“For what?” )
“For the birthday card.”
“Oh, you’re welcome Tony. Thirteen is a big year, you know.”
“Mmhmm.”
Shuffling static. The techno-beat of space fades.
“You should really come down sometime, the weather’s great.”
She eyes the unlocked door.
“I’d love to,” she says, “But I’d have no one to watch the house. Who knows what kind of people might break in…”

VI.
“You look different.”
“I’m older.”
“But still the same…”
She appraises him. A little tattered, a little softer around the edges. She supposes she is too. Too much pasta.
“You said this would be impossible.”
“It was. Back then.”
“And now?”
“It’s still impossible, now. But not in the future. I’m…from the future.”
He shifts his eyes. His smile is grim.
“But your ship hasn’t arrived yet. You said that would take my entire lifetime.”
“Time dilation is a tricky thing…”
X.
She finishes knitting the scarf. Or rather, knits it to its logical end. The yarn ran out. That seemingly endless thread…It had surprised her to discover that the sweater was made of one continuous line, looping over and back and under itself. Taking form.

IX.
She unravels.

XIV.
She opens a package and finds a tiny, potted cactus. It’s from Tony. He’s roadtripping across the country with son.
C. Gigantea from what was once Arizona State. It takes 75 years to grow a side arm.”
It is a small and prickly nugget. It tears through the tissue paper.

XII.
Maybe he was a figment of her imagination.
She sits in her armchair, needles in hand, watching the dusty couch, its indented cushion. Maybe it is the phantasm of her own weight she sees. Or maybe it is like a ripple in the water. Maybe in another time, he is sitting there, and she sees only the frozen reverberation of his existence, like pausing on a single frame of film. Maybe he moves too quickly to be perceived – the Wink of an Eye.

XIII.
At her retirement they give her a watch and a cake. A fruit cake. She notices for the first time that their faces are different, and yet the coworkers in her department have remained the same age: fresh-faced graduates, faces so plump that the strain does not show around their smiles. Retirement, they muse, must be…awesome.
They pat her on the shoulder or back and she feels like a statue, groped and greased over thousands of years by thousands of hands.
“Such a nice lady,” they sigh, and take pictures.

XV.
She sits in her armchair, unravelling. The needles lie on the table and yet she feels them in her fingers. On the finger a ring: it shimmers dully like a star behind a cloud, traveling across the sky. A star that has lived a million years. Maybe it is dead, and we see only the dying burst. Beside the needles rests the framed photograph, fading in the sunlight.
The television screen blinks its eye, searches for her face.
“An incoming transmission,” it coughs.
She nods, stiffly, then hears a shuffling static, an image warps into place.
“Hello...is this...Marla...?”
A living photograph.
“It is.”

7 comments:

Marta said...

Imma comment on this properly shortly but let me first just say props on being the first person to post an edit on Heart Rape! :D Well done Andrea <3

Andrea said...

LOL that was such a Kanye West moment right there!

<3

Marta said...

Hahaha exactly what I was going for XD

Okay so I finished reading and have ruminated and AHHHHHHHHHH ANDREA THIS IS SO GOOD. It's really really well done. Like really. I can't stress enough. I loved it.

I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I'll start by reiterating what I said at the meeting and say that I love where you started it. It's even better now that I've read the whole thing though because the beginning and the end mirror each other (well almost the end - the second to last paragraph). It's interesting how II seems bitter and XIII just seems sad and lonely, but gives a real sense that time has been padded along with all resentment. The trauma of him leaving her has set in and she no longer feels like everyone should be looking at her, even though they are (in the context of her retirement party). It's a really skillful way of showing just how much time has passed. Considering the passage of time is the most crucial part of this story, you convey it perfectly.

The science fiction element of the story was also integrated great. It didn't feel overwhelming, and doesn't even blatantly say "HI I'M A SCI FI!!" - rather it's something that is gradually understood to be taking place in the future. Having read it before, I suppose paragraph I would make it apparent that there's something off about the world itself, but I don't think it's really obvious in what way specifically. Yes, the idea of time travel is brought in, but it still doesn't give the context. It only becomes apparent in III and IV just how far in the future it is, and what sort of sci-fi is taking place. I think it's great how you ease the readers into it by using a lot of space imagery - all of which was beautifully written btw. I loved the "techno beat of space" and the beginning lines of I. Though in I I think that the "flung from the mouth of a famished god, starch worm wriggling into a puckered worm hole" gets a little too embellished and you should leave it at "opaque stars in a translucent sky". It's beautiful imagery but also the mention of a "god" seems a little out of place. But I love love love the description of the fingerprints. It was so glorious. You are masterful with words.

Splitting up the paragraphs also worked really well in showing the disorienting sort of life this woman must have had. Despite most of it being written in the present tense, it feels like a reminiscence of memories, all jumbled together. Also, IX is repeated twice, which gives an extra sense of that blurry recollection of what-came-first-where. There is an overlap of events. It feels unnatural (in a good way) like when he comes back to her: it shouldn't be happening but it is, inexplicably, and it mirrors the overlap of their lives at different points in time.

Marta said...

I could really see this being a longer piece. I felt like there was more that this world could give. I don't know if you were going to make it longer and this is what you handed in to class for the word count, but if you do another edit (which I am forcing you to because I could really see this getting published in a sci fi lit journal :P), I would say make it longer. Really emphasize those points in time where he comes back to her. I liked how he was integrated that one time, but I think there should be more. The idea of him not being physically present in the narrative still appeals to me, but it works that he's there to make the story concrete. Maybe you could put more scenes with him visiting, but instead of him being with her, he can be in the shower, or in the bedroom, or making her food in the kitchen while she's lying in bed. It could emphasize his ghostly presence where it doesn't seem to be real for her, even while it's happening, and just creates a greater sense of disconnect. Because I love that theme you have running through where she's completely alone and isolated. It's such a lonely life and the end could just be so much more tragic if there's literally no contact perceived by the readers between I and XV.

So yes. You should lengthen this. Add to some paragraphs to make it a bit longer. I love the quick pace of this but at the same time I feel like there could be a bit more all around. Also the Tony storyline could do with some more - I loved that addition by the way. If you had his growing up made even more parallel to the passage of time that could be a great trope. But it was a really wonderful way for you to emphasize her decision to separate herself from the world and her own family because of her love for this man. The cactus was a great metaphor, especially with the tag saying that it takes 75 years to grow an arm. All the repetition of time and the constant awareness of the passage of it and of aging (again with being given a watch for her retirement party) is excellent.

Yup so I guess my main qualm was that at the end I was disappointed that it was already the end because I was enjoying it so much. You could make this a really long short story, bordering on novella. Or even a novel if you were really dedicated! There's so much, it's just such a rich dense story. Honestly I think this is one of the best quality things you've ever written, right up there with the creative non-fiction of your grandmother. It shows that you spent a long time choosing the right words and the perfect ways to say things and I appreciated every moment of it. I look forward to reading more edits <3

Andrea said...

:O I really, REALLY love the idea of having him in the other room...that is EXACTLY the kind of effect I wanted to create but didn't know how to do it...hmmm....!

"It only becomes apparent in III and IV just how far in the future it is, and what sort of sci-fi is taking place." - About that: is it too subtle maybe? I'm worried that it might be too vague for someone new to the story. I've talked to you about it thoroughly so maybe it's easier to notice once you already know the background info...

"It's beautiful imagery but also the mention of a "god" seems a little out of place." - Good point. I had wanted to portray Marla and her lover as a pair of imagined gods overlooking the universe, as beings who transcend time and worldly existence. Then when she leaves her, she's a lonely god trying to twist and wrap the universe around her in a way...but totally I agree with your comment. That line makes it seem that there is one, concrete, immutable God out there, which is not what I want. Hmmm...!

"Also, IX is repeated twice, which gives an extra sense of that blurry recollection of what-came-first-where." - OMG YESS! So happy you noticed that <3 Honestly numbering those paragraphs was a major pain in the ass, I'm so glad it's being appreciated! :D I really wanted to emphasize the act of unravelling as a step back in time...unfortunately I only repeated it once in this version. I will definitely make it more apparent in the next!

I definitely plan on extending this into a novella form. It's pretty obvious that I was like, "Oh shit this is due tomorrow!" and hacked it off at the end lol which makes me really sad.

Yaaay I'm so happy about your comment! Thank youu! <3

Marta said...

I would say that you don't have to worry about the fact that it starts out slow as a sci-fi. I feel like just from the title there'll be the hint at it being not your average fiction story :P Also I feel like sci-fi writers always feel the need to "apologize" to an extent for their genre - or at least try and cater to the readers who don't necessarily like science fiction by coddling them within the first few lines to let them know what they're getting themselves into. Yours didn't do that at all, which is also why I particularly liked that. Of course it would be better for someone who hasn't read it at all to answer whether or not it's an effective way to be introduced to the world, but I really and truly think it's great as is. If you're really worried, just think about the fact that if it's published in something, the lit journal/webzine/short story anthology will give it the context that it presently lacks. So no worries!

As for the lonely gods part, I can't say that I got that at all from the story - and considering it from what you said I don't know if it really needs it. I like the concept of transcending time and worldly existence but I feel like doing so through the analogy of godlike beings brings a lot of baggage - religious and otherwise - with it that I didn't think needed to be brought into the narrative. Depending on how long you make it eventually it *could* work, but generally I feel like it's strong the way it is with all the themes running through. It's pretty jam packed and it may get bogged down. Also the concept of "godliness" when it's brought up in science fiction can be used as a crutch (not that I'm saying yours would be :P), in the way that it becomes too abstract and disconnects us from the characters because of the inability to really understand what being godlike entails. I like the down-to-earth feeling I got when reading, and I worry that it could lose that tone otherwise...

Anyway this is still absolutely awesome and I no doubt will love whatever you decide to go with :D you are a brilliant writer <3 rereading certain lines again I'm just speechless at how you interweave words. Wondrous.

Chasch said...

Ok so I was just scanning the heartrape page and I had seen that you had posted this before, but I didn't want to read it just yet, and then my eyes just scanned one of the paragraphs and I became immediately enthralled in your story (and it didn't matter that I started reading halfway down and then read the beginning after, because the order is all jumbled up anyway!). I really really liked this.

I remember quite liking the first version of this all way back when, an perhaps thinking it was lacking some polish.

This has polish. And also a heck of a lot more good stuff. The writing is beautiful, the story is well constructed and engaging, the characters are believable and relatable, the themes are well developed. Andrea, this was really well crafted and fantastic, and I would tend to agree with Marta Barnes that it is your best work of writing.

Regarding the scifi, I though it was well introduced and I wouldn't want it to be more obvious than it is, especially at the beginning. Like Marta, I think part of why it's so good is that it doesn't start by saying "this is in the future and has flying ships and robots and things so suspend your disbelief now and imagine all the cool space gadgets". That kind of thing would turn me off completely. In the case of your story, the sci fi elements are just there to support and explore the thematic of love and loss, which is perfect. The scific is just the framework around actual human feelings, which are beautifully shown (and never told, win on your part!).

I love the different imagery: the space and star stuff, as Marta said, and also the slow-growing cactus, but more specifically the pasta (which cleverly becomes a motif), and also the knitting. The raveling, unraveling of the sweater was just genius, pure genius Andrea, I can't believe how anyone would think that up. It's so clever, the linear/unlinear concept of time and then its finite and then you make something out of it but it's half-finished because you don't have enough yarn and then you unravel it again... WOW! The only tiny detail I would potentially change is push part IX ("She unravels") later on in the sequence, so you jumble up the order even more, but if you bring it down just one part, the reader still sees the short, quipped part lower down and quickly makes the connection with part VIII when she finds the sweater.

Thanks a lot for this Andrea, it was most good.