Saturday, October 30, 2010

Plea (inspired by Modest Mouse and Listener)

I don't know what I'm chasing
I don't know your name
I never said that you should die
I just said that you might like it
I just suggested that you try it
Take it back if it ain't your thing
But maybe they'll give you
A store credit.

I've built up quite a reputation
For tearing down buildings
and seeing their bones
With the people in them.
I've built up quite a reputation
For accidental product placement
of beliefs. They're for everyone.
They're easy to use.

This town got smaller as I grew.
This cup got empty as I filled
myself. This house got colder,
but everyone's complaining about the heat.
How long until I can get out of bed
and say "Hold my head for me,
I am tired. I've been using my neck
for a while and I've even failed at that."

I missed the sign, apparently.
I have to play this game, apparently.
Truth is, I've tried and it's worked.
I just want you to want me on your own.
I think there'll be another sign.
I think you like me, too.
What it means is beyond me,
but it feels pretty nice.

I don't know what I'm chasing.
I've known your name for a while.
I've built up quite a reputation
For taking things out of context.
I've preached clarity before
and now I see that it's harder
for others to achieve. I have.
(most times)

Here's all I have to tell you:

"This is my personal space.
You are welcome to be in it, but
Understand that this means
That I need to be in yours, too.
I know that it takes a while
for anyone to allow this to another,
but I've grown enough to let
refusal be a high five for effort."

No comments: