Saturday, September 4, 2010

Creationism

(first thing I've written in a while)


There are holes on both sides of your neck
and when you breathe I hear you echo.
I couldn't bring myself to ask you what happened
and honestly, I probably don't want to know.
It was most likely a traumatic accccident
that left you with gaps below your ears
and I think the fact that you don't mention it
is brave and strange at the same time.

I wouldn't know where to stab you
if I ever got that mad.
And if you keep running around with a smile
then it can't be all that bad.

Do you feel the birds screeching at you
as they flap hastily away?
They'll come close to you someday.
They'll warm up to you someday.

2 comments:

Chasch said...

This is quite beautiful. The broken/fragile beauty, watched from outside but not understood. I especially like "And if you keep running around with a smile / then it can't be all that bad" — it normalizes the pain, tries to be objective about this small problem which becomes the central subject of the first stanza and can take up all the place in the other person's life. It all rings very true. It's desperate, because essentially the speaker is convincing the other person that it's going to be okay, but that makes it feel real.

Emlyn said...

I really like this Mike, and I will try to give you a more constructive comment later. I really liked the feel and the flow of this piece.

I'm glad you posted.