Monday, June 21, 2010

Pathology

[Poetry in the form of prose (it was meant to be another prose poem, but sadly not everything can take that form and I shifted it into paragraphs in the end)]

I see a meteor burn a line in the atmosphere above the smog smeared city, stranded for a few lonely seconds among the skyscraper sentinels watching over the wild streets of sleepless Montreal.

“A shooting star”, I say, eyes wired wide from lack of sleep and my first few drinks in months, excited over the fact that I’ve encountered an astronomical phenomenon more than anything else.

“You get to make a wish,” you say, sipping your special French liquor that I’ve already forgotten the name of, and laying the icy rim-chipped mug against a segment of your sunburn.

“Yeah. Oh yeah. Forgot,” I say, even though I didn’t really because when it comes down to it I could never forget, and doubted anyone ever could, this wishing business having been burned like infection or a cancerous spread deep in the psychosomatic human race so that when something as rare as a shooting star should shoot into the range of vision for that split atomic moment like a flamed fleck of ash from a campfire sparking up into the air, or sometimes onto your knees, you have to fight the impulse to make a stupid on-the-spot request from the cosmological space above to try and remember to beg for something worthwhile for once.

I wish.

I wish for that stupid on-the-spot request because there isn’t anything else I want anyway. Or at least I tell myself that, because I wish before I’ve even finished telling myself not to wish.

I tip my glass against my lips to take another drink, and decide, as it hits my tongue, that I really don’t actually like it, but I don’t want to hurt your feelings since you’ve spent a good portion of the night gushing about how it’s your absolute favourite drink and I told you I thought it was good before I’d really made a judgment call, so I force it back, feel the warmth and grit my teeth against the gin-licorice-Bengay sensation. When it comes down to it, I’ve had worse combinations. I’ll leave it behind for you to drink after I’ve gone home so as not to waste it on a non-appreciator.

Meanwhile you irrigate the lines between constellations, looking for your own piece of luck, but only find airplanes, the metal frames denying their gravity like a father disowns the responsibility of his fatherhood. “If only planes were shooting stars,” you say. “I’d have so many dreams come true.”

We sit and stare out the balcony, the words settling like a thick-shagged dusty carpet across both the night sky and the concrete wall that is our view from these chairs.

7 comments:

Francis said...

I very much like the way the I is very much an I. I hope you know what I mean :)

Mike Carrozza said...

things I enjoyed alot:

"gin-licorice-Bengay" awesome. and the "i've had worse combinations" splendid.

The entire paragraph about "forgetting" was brilliant. I fucking loved it.


question: the airplane/shooting star thing. is that derived from the B.O.B. song at all?

I also felt a shift in tone in the second to last paragraph. pretentious is a good word to go with for it. so JSMC

Marta said...

Actually no it wasn't taken from that song - this is actually a very accurate piece of creative non-fiction. The dialogue is exactly how it happened :P

Marta said...

And I agree about the second to last paragraph. It's officially getting cut as of now. I only put it in because I was afraid of the situation being too cliche, so I wanted to counter it right away, but it ended up just being pretentious as you said.

(Sorry to any of you who read this piece now and never get to read that paragraph, just trust us and believe it's for the best :P)

Mike Carrozza said...

Oh, Marta I have a treat for you.
Listen to Airplanes by B.O.B. featuring Hayley Williams (of Paramore). The chorus goes "Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now."

Emlyn said...

I think this piece is brilliant as well.
A few comments; french liquor in a mug seemed strange, but then I don't know much about french liquor, and maybe the jarring of that is good.
I really love the first paragraph, to me it read completely like prose poetry.
I like the story but as Jordano said, I didn't really get a feel for the relationship between the two people, but maybe that was the point.
This piece is now one of my favorites of your writing.
excellent work

Andrea said...

This piece is just brilliant. And since you've eliminated the pretentious second to last paragraph, I have nothing negative to say about it, not even about the relationship with the guy. In my opinion, it's not the details of a relationship that are important so much as the nature of the relationship, and that you captured beautifully. To me it felt subtle, the way things are almost matched up but not quite, how even though there is some sadness for what is not ideal, these two people can put differences aside and still have a real moment together. There isn't any bitterness between them. They are accommodating and hopeful. They feel real.

Characters aside, the words themselves are just beautifully put together. I just LOVE the first paragraph: "skyscraper sentinels," "smeared" - it feels like a Van Gogh painting, except of an urban landscape. And the part where the shooting star flitters into campfire ash is so serene, and when it falls on your knee it feels so authentic and perfectly fitting for the metaphor. I seriously want to rave about every paragraph of this piece, except my copy/paste doesn't work which really hampers the raving. But this is honestly very touching and human and I looove it!

The only thing that bothered me (ok I lied, I have something negative to say. But it's so infinitisemal that it doesn't really count) was the description "burned like an infection or cancer" etc. It felt grotesque and out of place, especially since the whole "wishing business" isn't portrayed that way in the rest of the piece. But like I said, a minor invconvenience. I heart this piece! :D