Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beams, Reverie

Wow, I have not posted anything on here in what seems like months. Writers block had its firm grasp around my hand. So to hopefully make up for it here are two poems.


Beams


I used to smile

until one day it became forced

The corners of my mouth grew weary

from the lack of usage

so I sewed my lips shut.


(For some reason the word usage bothers me but I left it in there)


Reverie


Too long have the words dried up

left aside by an abandoned highway

where a suicide once took place

The crumpled papers mock

as the words bleed out of a fools mouth

and drip so ever slightly upon my skin

staining it.

Fingernails are bitten off

raw and bloody

and lifeless

They match the eyes of the woman sitting next to me

a living corpse

even though her breathe tickles my neck

as her whispered words lull me to sleep

It reminded me of the time when

I slipped

when I was younger

by telling them (the others)

about the man behind the nightmare

I tripped

falling up

yet still landed on my feet

2 comments:

Mike Carrozza said...

Beams:
"until one day" is unnecessary. I think "I used to smile./ It became forced./ The corners of my mouth/ grew weary/ so I sewed my lips shut."

Usage bothered me too. Rid of it :P
and for some reason, I felt like it would be appropriate to put some imagery about spit in there. also, I feel like the ending has been overdone. You and I both know that plenty of emo bands have done that ending or devoted their band name to it.

Reverie:
Breathe? NO! SPELLING MISTAKE! breath.

I feel like you should have gone a little deeper into the suicides that took place there. There needs to be a significance, because right now, I'm just thinking "oh, Davina tossed in suicide".

The others should replace "them", it's more ominous, I think.

I think this gets strong from "Fingernails"

The fact that you feel a belonging amongst living corpses makes us think twice about the narrator and also the fact that you get put to sleep by whispered words is great too. The nightmare was a fantastic ending. My first instinct after reading that line was to get up and run into the wall for not being creative enough lately.

Emlyn said...

the word usage bothers me too, i like mike's edit, but you could also just replace the word usage with the word use. also i don't like so i sewed my lips shut, since it doesnt prevent smiling, you can smile with your lips together and it doesnt make sense to me as a conclusion to the peom.


Reverie

Too long have the words dried up left aside by an abandoned highway
The crumpled papers mock as the words bleed out of a fools mouth and drip so ever slightly upon my skin.

It reminded me of the time when I slipped when I was younger by telling them (the others) about the man behind the nightmare I tripped falling up yet still landed on my feet.

those are the parts of reverie I eally liked and I felt they could stand on their own, the rest I found unneccessary, and without significance, like mike said. sorry to be harsh.