Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sea Change

The tide’s gone
Out
Those waves you
Sailed in on
Have returned to the ocean
They’re bringing you
Back
To that
Horizon

I sent the pieces
Of my heart
That belong to you
Out on a raft
To follow in your wake
I won’t be waiting for the tide
To bring you back
(I don’t expect
a message in a bottle)

I’ll still walk the sands
These shores
Collecting shells and
Sea glass
Singing to the surf
The roaring of the waves will
Still lull me to sleep
And I’ll reclaim
My dreams
Of fish and stars
And sea and sky
I’ll finally forget
Your eyes.


*loosely inspired by Ani Difranco's song Grey

5 comments:

Bernard said...

This piece is wonderful--it starts off very loose and then just tightens up at the end. Glorious.

Mike Carrozza said...

There is a steady improvement in your writing. This is one of your best and I tip the cap to you.
Kudos.

Emlyn said...

I thank you both!

Andrea said...

LMFAO Oh Bernard, the way you word things is priceless XD

I love this poem. It just has such pretty images and I love the kind of wistful feelings about it. It's beautiful.

Emlyn said...

Thank you Andrea and Jordano! and yeah Jordano it's cool with me, and honestly I'm not sure how I feel about the message in a bottle part either, that's why it's in parentheses. If you think it flows nicer without it, it could be cut.