Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Mother's Womb

{I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in the last two weeks. I was going to give an excuse involving school and illness and creative work of a more personal nature, but really we're all busy so I don't have a good reason. So I wrote this, which is a result of reading too much Virginia Woolf and trying to emulate a more Jordanotic content. Excuses for the length.}

Inside, the fumes from the shisha pipes create a dense, leaden atmosphere. It is warm. I inhale and exhale thick, odorous smoke, and drink cheap american beer, and I talk about high things like art and philosophy and base things like politics and jobs -- and also sex, which is in its own category. I feel light headed. It is so warm. The smoke is everywhere: it spews out of our mouths and into our brains and above our heads it swirls near the ceiling under the lights draped in crimson and purple shawls and carpets meant to make this bar on Saint-Laurent look like a café in Morocco. The owners are Lebanese immigrants. I steal a sip of mint tea from the friend to my right, it is made in china and tastes like grass. I'd rather my cheap beer.
It is cold, outside. I feel it near the window; an inch of cold air. Through the steamy windows I can see the calm, quiet night, the harsh glare of the city. Inside it is loud. You laugh loudly to signify you are happy and good humored and you talk emphatically to show you aren't bored, spitting apple-scented smoke into the eyes of others. We all lean on each other and tell stories from our lives. We know all our stories already; we share the same lives.
Kate is close to me, now. Thigh against thigh, she passes the long, hard end of the pipe to me. Our hands touch. I coil my fingers along the pipe's hose -- it is cold and covered in dew. The water in the pipe bubbles and steams milky eddies as I suck in the steam and push it down into my lungs. Kate is closer, her back rests against my arm. I am so tired. I don't push the smoke out, I let it drift out of me; a thick, white tendril that seeps out of my mouth and climbs up across my face, tickling my eyelashes. I feel the tension in Kate's muscles and remembers what it was like, before... I wonder for a moment what it would be like, now... What is she doing against me, in front of all the others? It is loneliness, perhaps, that pushes her back. All this loneliness. We are all desperate to rest our backs against someone we love.
Later, we wrap our scarves around our necks and pull on your downy, fur-lined coats and walk out of the bar, assessing how drunk and asphyxiated we are. Outside, I swallow great gulps of sharp, cold city air. The wind stirs my hair and stings my eyes. Passing cars blind and deafen me. Kate follows me into the taxi like a shadow and I don't say anything. I don't push her back and protest. I don't pull her in and accept. I don't do anything. I let her take my hand and whisper stupid things in my ear -- things about love and acceptance. Things about being independent. She whispers so loud even the Haitian taxi driver understands what her incessant blabber really means under all that goddamn hypocrisy, the bane of our society. I don't listen to her. I am so comfortable inside the taxi, despite her raspy voice and her clammy hand clinging to mine. The interior of the car is warm and lined with soft, creased leather, it smells sweet and vaguely familiar. It feels like I'm back in my mother's womb -- that last simile comes to my mind, and I try to remember it for the next day because it sounds so far-fetched and true.
Halfway through the cab ride Kate shoves her tongue down my throat and her hands down my pants while the cab driver hums a song by Lady Gaga. Po-po-po-po-po-po-po-po-po-ker face. Kate sucks on my mouth like a wet, salty sea creature, oyster against oyster; she doesn't need to breathe. Then we've arrived and I throw money at the cab driver and thank him and Kate follows me still: up to my front door, through the door, up the stairs to my apartment. Next thing I know I'm standing in the hallway with an erection and my pants off and my ex-girlfriend sucking my dick. Lady Gaga is still stuck in my head.

***

I wake to searing headache, a phlegmy cough, and an empty stomach. I'm lying in my cold, dead bed. Kate is still there, she's snoring quietly beside me. Why is she still there? I thought she was gone. She can only be back for one reason.
I roll out of bed and pull on some boxers and wrap myself in my old bathrobe. I head straight for the roof. It's cold as hell, outside, but the cold makes me feel better. It's almost day, in that uncertain hour before morning; the city is still sort of asleep. I am alone and hungover. I feel like shit. The inside of my boxers are sticky and my exposed legs are frozen. I search inside the pockets of the bathrobe and pull out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. I always leave a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in my bathrobe. For emergencies. I light myself a fag and watch the winter sun slowly stretch across the roofs and windows and the barren tips of trees. Still sucking on my cigarette, I open up my bathrobe and let my penis peak out of the little buttoned flap at the front of my boxers. The cold tickles the tip of my dick. I relieve myself in an icy snowbank, etching my name in steaming yellow piss. I get to the fifth letter.
When I'm done I wrap myself in the warmth of the bathrobe and look down at the street. The newspaper delivery guy is out, now. He's zigzagging on the sidewalk, throwing hard rolls of newspapers at each door. Whack, thump. Whack, thump. Soon I'll have to go in and make coffee and Kate will wake up and I'm going to wish she were already gone. I don't even remember if we had sex or not last night. I should've checked before to see if she still had her underwear on. Not that it matters. Just a minute, just one more minute out in the crisp, clear morning. Just so my head can clear up a bit.
My cigarette is almost finished and I feel the warmth of the burning end against my fingers. Smoke spills out of it in a dense ribbon. It shoots upward and curls into a question mark. I have so many questions... And no answers. I shout my questions at the snow and the rooftops and the newspaper guy, but the burning cold morning absorbs my voice and stays mute. Only a dog, out for his morning shit, barks in response.

4 comments:

Mike Carrozza said...

"It is cold, outside. I feel it near the window; an inch of cold air." - great line.

I felt like at times, you should been less vulgar. Like "the cold tickles the tip of my dick", I think would have been better as penis.

The Lady Gaga song still stuck in his head while getting head was priceless.

I only felt Jordano in the simile of the mother's womb, to be quite frank. However, this is a comment from my first read through, so maybe, with more reflection, I'll catch on to some more.

The tone was very matter-of-fact and indifferent, but overall lazy and careless. I think I would have liked to feel more of the carelessness. The guy who pisses on the roof of his building seems like the kind of guy who would do something ridiculous the night before.

At points, I felt it dragged a tiny, tiny bit, but it picked up well.

I felt like there was too much anger toward the cab driver and I thought it was gratuitous and unexplained. (I might be the only one, perhaps)

And the end scene with the smoke forming a question mark. Could it have been phrased in a way that doesn't make it contrived? It's just the only unbelievable moment of the story. It felt like you were trying too hard to get the point across.

Overall, good piece, but kinks to work out. :)

Chasch said...

About David Foster Wallace, well I've only ever read a short story called Incarnations of Burned Children -- the irony is that I got my gilfriend to read it this morning. It's a fine piece of writing, stylistically well-crafter and haunting. I suppose there might've subconsciously been a bit of his influence in this piece, the kind of descriptive proximity and then narrative distance... It is a shame he died.
I don't have time to comment more now but I will answer Mike's comment later, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Chasch said...

Ok, so Mike, thanks for the long comment and I must say I agree with most of what you said.
I understand the term "dick" can be annoying. To be honest I used that specific word for alliterative purposes (tickles - tip - dick). If it's really too vulgar in the paragraph and stands out as such, I should probable change it to penis anyways. Sometimes I'm just too attuned to the sonority of words for my own good. Curse you poetics class.
As for the smoke question mark, as usual you've managed to dissect my piece with incredible insight. The first thing that came to mind was that sentence about the question mark, which I jotted down in my notebook. I let it stand there for a week and then went back to it, starting the piece from the beginning and working my way up to that part in one sitting. Then I edited the piece when I posted it here. Perhaps you're right, it may be a bit too simplistic or obvious compared to the rest of the stuff in this piece. I should probably come back to this in a couple of mouths and edit the hell out of it.
Anyway, thanks for all the feedback again, it really helps!

Max said...

Charles, I think that this piece really captures the isolation that our age group sometimes feels. If we look a developmental stages, 20-25ish is the stage of development called isolation Vs. Intimacy, in this stage we choose whether we want to give ourselves to people or to cut ourselves off. I think this man is at an impasse, and the does not know what to do.

Other than that, this is a brilliant piece. I am so jealous of your talent. It would be nice to go back to the womb imagery, or at least a birth reference at the end. A sort of starting anew, since that is what happens in this story. I still can't figure out if he made the decision at the end whether to isolate himself or to give himself to intimacy...

I'm guessing he will choose isolation.