Saturday, January 9, 2010

I Know You're Upset

(Hello, HeartRapists. This is from way back when I first started writing. It's one of my oldest. It is also one of my favorites. I hope it becomes one of yours, too.

- Mike.)
(PS. I posted a newer one on my blog http://iamabearonaboat.blogspot.com/
it's called I NeveLeft My Seat. Enjoy that one, too.)

It's unfair to think that
If I fold up your heart
It'll fit into my pocket
So I think you should keep it on you tonight
Besides, you look so good with it on your sleeve.

It's also unfair to think that if I didn't touch you tonight,
That things would be better, that the space would
Miraculously put me in my place
But I'm too stubborn for that to work
At least for now

If I go drinking with the boys,
Please don't sulk or get mad at me for too long
I just don't enjoy it when you tell me that I don't get it
So I go do something I understand

And I know that when I come home,
I'll crawl into bed
And kiss your cheek,
While you pretend to sleep
Hoping to work it out in the morning
Knowing that forgiveness is the last sheep to jump the fence

I take you for granted and I try my best not to

(Please) Just take my hand when I reach out for yours.

2 comments:

Chasch said...

This resonates a lot. Especially the last line. Wow. That is some serious heartraping my friend.

The economy of words worked perfectly with what you are talking about, because the subject itself is a kind of absence of words: "hoping", "knowing"... never talking though.

I know exactly the feeling that is contained here and it touches me a lot.
Definitely my favorite of yours.

Emlyn said...

I love the first stanza,
and the whole poem reads like a song. There are so many great lines in this too, my favorite line is "Knowing that forgiveness is the last sheep to jump the fence"
but also the first three lines of the first stanza. I like the idea of folding up a heart.

probably my favorite of your writing