Saturday, December 19, 2009

"Veins," He Said to Himself, "So Many of Them."

Held in your warm embrace, I look to you.
You look worried and like you're trying to hold back tears.
Even though you hold me so tightly and close to your chest, I can feel myself getting colder and
Weaker.
"I'm sleepy, Hayley."
"I know, sweetie, I know."
"You going to be alright? You look stressed out."

You let go momentarily and a lonely tear crosses your cheek as you force a chuckle.

"No, no, no. Don't worry. I'm fine."

You look like mom. I can see it now.
All these years of people telling you, I disagreed.

I knew I was almost done.

"Hayley?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't want a tombstone."

7 comments:

Emlyn said...

incredibly depressing even for you

Mike Carrozza said...

Depending on how you look at the last sentence, I guess.

Chasch said...

Major heartrape this was good but very sad.

Mike Carrozza said...

I thank you guys.

tabs said...

Frickin...morbid, Mike.
I mean it's...I like the selflessness, even during the last moments of someone's life. I like that it's...such a quiet moment, not filled with regret or anger.
I don't know what to make of the last line. Is that a refusal of identification or...?

Mike Carrozza said...

I mean it could be him trying to say that he wants to fight death and overcome whatever is happening or just a statement.
It's just something nobody thinks about when they die.
And the selflessness is because she knows its not for long or is it? I mean...it's up to the reader.

Marta said...

I love this. I really do. That last line was a punch-rape-in-the-face. It's really beautiful. This is up there in my favourites of your writing. It's so simple and quiet and beautiful.