Friday, December 18, 2009

Shoes

I,
I am your shoes,
You’ve walked miles in me,
And your feet are bruised
I am sorry
To inflict this pain on you
Maybe you should try someone else’s shoes
Walk a mile or two

Maybe Boots
Are more suited to you
To your pathways
Through snow and rain
Long grass and hard terrain

Maybe Sandals
So you can dance wherever the wind blows
In almost bare feet
So you can kick them off
And luxuriate in
The feel of sand between your toes

Maybe heels
To give you those extra inches of height
So you can reach
Your dreams
And while away the night
On a dance floor

Maybe no shoes at all
No straps to rub and chafe
No laces to come undone
No heels to trip in
No sandals to lose
No boots to pull on
No shoes to bruise
No shoes


(apologies to those who have already read this on my blog)

2 comments:

Chasch said...

I liked this. I'm always impressed when lots of rhyming is involved, and it works very well here. It gives it a kind of light-hearted feel (although the POV also contributes), but which also has a potentially ominous edge, especially with the last stanza. Well crafted.

Emlyn said...

Thank you Charles.