Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yes yes. But...WHY?

You said You’re giving up Oxford. And I thought, ‘What a waste.’

What a waste of a love for education.
What a waste of a love for academia.
What a waste of a love for philosophy.
What a waste of a love for historical fiction.
What an isolation of such a passion for teaching into one
specific.
field.

And then I took a step back
(something you managed to teach me)
and thought
If you’re going to teach people how to have faith
and how to place trust in others
and how to believe in something bigger
and how to be that much less alone
and how to love
Well that isn’t a waste at all.
And good. Good for you.
You’re good.

So if and when people come up to me
and ask me what kind of fanatical hedonistic preacher you are
I will say The Good Kind.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Aww! this is sweet. I like the switch in opinion and the repetition.

Also, is no one else amused by the fact that the web browser title for this one is: "Heart Rape! Yes yes. But...WHY?"

Mike Carrozza said...

I AM VERY AMUSED/AROUSED, ANDREA!

I was confused about this, yet I felt like this is a silver lining piece about an idol finally becoming human and you (the narrator) accepting it. I liked this.

Marta said...

Hahaha yes Andrea that is quite amusing ;P

I second her also in the respect of the sweetness and the repetition. You're like...the queen of repetition. It always sounds so awesome in your pieces, you really know how to make it work. I can hear you reading this out loud :)