Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Count

I...have a love-hate relationship with Liberal Arts. There's no other explanation for whinging out last week. Have some numbered bits in partial compensation: the concept behind these is to see if I can come up with something interesting with a certain amount of words.

21: Heartbeat after heartbeat stretching time as if we were approaching the speed of light, and I see nothing but your eyes.

36: Sometimes the things that break us are the things that make us whole; he discovered this quite by accident in the cold air of an abandoned parking lot, watching her tail-lights die into the fog.

49: The drowning feeling is one with which he's all too familiar, and it's with a flick of his wrist and a grip of steel on his heart that he tosses the respirator down, watching it sink through a stream of bubbles into those depths that only he can fathom.

27: It forces the breath from you, forces the tears from you, until you can only see and feel and hear and smell and taste the music.

17: Starlight on the frosted grass of early winter or late autumn cannot shine more brightly than you.

6 comments:

Emlyn said...

you.are.amazing.
i think my favorite is the last one, but it's hard to choose,
I like this idea, and want to try it, how did you pick the numbers?

Mike Carrozza said...

I like the idea. I think we should all d this at least once.
I liked the 21, 49 and 17 most, but all are superb.

Chasch said...

I really like 36, it gives you such a clear image, and there are so many potential layers to the story, and yet such economy of words. Very nice!

Bernard said...

Very nice, to echo Charles. I like the idea of word constraints(see my obsession with fifty-fivers)... maybe we should have a week of this on the HRB?

Andrea said...

I really liked the one in the parking lot (36). Something about the clear, concrete image...it felt like there were so many more layers to it, individual characters with tensions between them left unsaid. It made me wonder what happened, where they were, why they watched it die instead of doing something about it.

I've always liked your philosophical pieces, but I think you have a lot of potential for narrative. More, I say!

Marta said...

Jess you are brilliant <3

I think everyone's stolen my comments, so all I can really say is I love love love 21 and 27, although 21 is my absolute favourite. But...oh man, no I can't decide. You really make it difficult to decide, curses! They're all so beautiful and...poignant.

And I agree that we should all do this for a week on the HRB!