Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Win

“The sweetest revenge for heartbreak like that,”
She said with a guileful grin,
“Is to be flat-out stunning and flirt...
But certainly NOT with him.”

I thought for a moment and swallowed a smile;
We started to plot your demise.
The first step? She said, “This part you can do –
You be easy on his eyes.”

We plotted and planned a fanciful do
Of just-perfect wardrobe and hair;
Imagined a label to slap on my face:
“Of this let the buyer beware!”

And I flirted and laughed and tossed back my hair,
And days they stretched out into weeks.
I don’t know what effect it’s having on you
But it’s not the one that I seek.

Revenge is a dish that is best served cold
And I let it simmer and boil.
Although in this silly scheme, I’ll admit,
I got something out of my toil:

When I set my sights on vengeance for you
I tried to your jealousies sway,
That didn’t work, but you lost me for good -
So I win, at the end of the day.

This is absolutely fictional. And I absolutely had fun writing it.
I promise, I'm working on actual narrative stuff with an actual plot.
AND! I'm totally down for Mike's plan. Oh yes, don't stop believing, etc.

2 comments:

Bernard said...

"Noli me tangere, for Caesar's I am!"

Man, it's like a reverse Whoso I List To Hunt.

Andrea said...

I agree with Bernard's comment, and I also highly approve of this foray into narrative. Yaay Jess!

I think my favourite is "Of this let the buyer beware!" It fit in perfectly with the meter and I thought it was just generally clever, how she's making herself out to be a product.

It's so true how girls can be mean and manipulative this way!