Monday, November 2, 2009

Miranda

She is frozen
In her moment
In her mind
The wind moves around her
The rocks,
Alive with algae,
Are weighed down by her relinquished wish
For heartbeats
The darkness in which she sits surrounds
A halo of black clouds conjured
By her lack of power
Still she sits
Steadfast
Distilling thoughts of life
By looking in the yellow strokes of horizon
Yellow like her dress
Like her hair
With silver edges like the ribbon in her locks
Which pulls toward the water
In promise of the damage of the storm
She lets it pull,
Looks towards the doomed forever
In which shattered pieces of broken people
Surely grind against the waves,
And rests her foot on shifting sands
She does not move
She is frozen
In her moment
In her mind

3 comments:

Mike Carrozza said...

Don't take this as an insult, but this was forgetable.

Probably not the effect you wanted, but still worked with the idea of the "moment" and although it's frozen, its just "a moment".

I liked the way it was written
But I enjoy the interpretation it made me come up with and its something I needed.

Thank you.

Marta said...

In that case you are welcome :)

And I forgot to mention this before the poem, but this was written as an assignment for my poetry class - we had to go to the Museum of Fine Arts and write a poem about a painting. So I chose the painting "Miranda" (title coincidence?!), which was based off of the character Miranda from The Tempest in one of the first scenes.

If you want to see the painting, here's the link, but only look after reading the poem I guess? I don't know. Do whatever you want with the link.

http://eaobjets.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/coyprighted_waterhouse_key-1061.jpg

Chasch said...

I kind of agree with Mike. The vaporousness makes it kind of impact-less, unimportant...

The painting interpretation also just makes it a description of a painting: "yellow strokes of horizon / Yellow like her dress / Like her hair" - I find that a bit simplistic.

I'm being harsh. I think it's just my mood, but we're also used to reading much more outstanding stuff by you Marta! Love!