Monday, May 6, 2013

The Call


Ring ring… ring ring… ring ring…
“Hello…?”
“…”
“Hel-“
“I need you to pretend for me”
“It’s 2:35 am”
“Exactly, I can’t sleep. Just help me get to sleep”
“…”
“I just need you to pretend it’s ok now. You owe me this. I just want you to pretend that we’re ok”
“We are ok, we just aren’t toge-“
“I KNOW! I know… Sorry. Please?”
“I don’t know what to say.”
“You always know what to say.”
“What do you want from me?”
“I just told you.”
“I don’t kn-“
“I’ll start just play along”
“I don’t know if this is a good idea.”
“Babe…?”
“…”
“Babe, are you up?”
“What’s wrong? Is everything ok?”
“I’m sorry I woke you up. I can’t fall asleep.”
“Was I snoring again?”
“No that’s not it, well, you were, it’s just I’m nervous about tomorrow.”
“What for? You know you’re amazing and smart and gorgeous”
“Thanks babe…
”Feel better?”
“No.”
“Look, I want you to do something for me.”
“What?”
“I want you to clasp your hand together really tight.”
“Ok”
“Alright now count to 10”
“One”
“Your arms and legs hurt your face is pushed in a scowl”
“Two”
“Your stomach is tight and uncomfortable”
“Three”
“Your back hurts from slouching”
“Four”
“Your breathing starts to slow down”
“Five”
“You relax all the muscles in your face and you let your hands go.”
“Six”
“Your shoulders melt like hot butter”
“Seven”
“You feel warm from everyone’s love around you”
“Eight”
“Your mind stops racing”
“Nine”
“You are comfortable”
“Ten”
“…”
“… Ten?”
“You are asleep”
“I am not”
“Oh trust me you are”
“How can you be so sure?”
“Because we’re together right now.”
“So this is a dream?”
“Yes. You’ve been asleep all this time. It’s a beautiful dream where we are together in our bed touching. You can hear my voice whispering in your ear.”
“I can feel you.”
“When you wake up you will go back to the real world, but right now, enjoy your dream. Good night my love”
“Good night. I love you.”
“I love you.”
Click

1 comment:

Marta said...

Aww...this is not at all your usual and is really sentimental and cute and sad. I like that it's just dialogue, it adds that extra ephemeral feel, like any second it might disappear, and might not have existed at all.