Friday, March 25, 2011

Spin Cycle Class

You owe me more
than some meaningless
apology, muttered
under your breath,
accompanying your
rolling eyes.
I'm better than that.
You owe me more.

"It was just a phase,"
you said.
"A silly phase,"
you said.
I never believed you,
but you had convinced
yourself.

"It's not my place,"
I thought,
"not my place,
at all."
So I stepped aside.

You owe me more
than a forced
apology you
don't believe in.
You owe me
your evaporation
from my life.
I want no remains.

I want to cut your face out of all the pictures of us,
just like you used to do in bed when you thought I was asleep.

1 comment:

Marta said...

In all this sounded a bit...angsty. The emotion was there, but I feel like you could have found a better way to say it. The last few lines were good, but following the rest of the piece they didn't have as much impact as I would have hoped. Though I did like "You owe me / your evaporation / from my life." That got that sentiment pretty dead on, no beating around the bush. (Can that phrase ever be used without sounding sexual?)