Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strange Noises From The Basement

I walked by a cat today.
It wasn't much of a cat anymore.
It was roadkill.
I gagged and started to cry.
It was still, its fur blowing in the wind of cars swerving to avoid it, with its tongue on the pavement and fragments of skull and brain painting the road more of a pink than red.

I looked at it, in the middle of the road, and wondered.

Was the driver just not paying attention or was the driver hopeful that the cat had made it across safely? Did the driver intentionally crush the cats head or did the driver spend time texting their friends? Did the cat succomb to the temptation of curiosity of what it may be like to be run over or did the cat know of the consequences, intentionally and carefully positioning its neck for the vehicle to catch the skull and crush it instantaneously?

I prefer to see this as cat suicide with a voluntary assist from the driver.
I'd rather know that its wish was fulfilled than know that it failed. I'd rather know that things went according to plan.

(Perception is a wonderful thing)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I really like this. It makes me think of the time I found a poster for a lost rabbit. It was horribly hand drawn in marker by some child and posted on the front door of the municipal library. When I left the library, I found the crushed rabbit on the street beside. Total heart rape. I cried.

Chasch said...

I'm not too sure about this one... First of all I'd cut out the line "It was roadkill." The following lines make that obvious, you don't need to actually state at. As for the larger paragraph, I found the flow was broken up by too much awkward phrasing. The word driver appears too many times in the first two sentences, and then I think the question are just too long, they lose their impact through multiple clauses, I think you should cut them up into shorter sentences and questions.

I don't know, I feel like you could've done a much better job style-wise with this topic, although granted the "voluntary assist" line made me smile.