Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rhetoric

We, changeable as the salty sea, impossible as a storm-laden sky, volatile as the roiling hot springs in the middle of the mountains – we, feather-fickle in our choice choices between, for all intents and purposes, delirious or delirious; we, jagged rocks on a crashing shore and jagged lines on a graph of something relative to something else, are somehow fixed here, now.

And where is “here”? And when is “now”? And why are “we [...] fixed”?

And when we say “fixed”, do we mean that we have settled upon a decision, an opinion, a state, one of a multiplicity of everythings? Or do we mean, perhaps, that we have been repaired, disabused of some notion, transformed for the better from our changeable, changeling selves?

2 comments:

Max said...

This is too deep for me right now Jess. I'm having a hard time processing it. the whole thing is a parable and my mind is too exhausted to understand it. I'll reread it later

Andrea said...

"jagged lines on a graph of something relative to something else, are somehow fixed here"
<33! I love all the images but this one is my favourite!

I just generally really like this post. I love how you take two approaches to the word "fixed." It's too genius.