Monday, March 8, 2010

DOUBLE POST OF POEMS!!

[So because I've missed some weeks, I'm doing a double post of poems (go figure from the title). Hope you like them. I've been enjoying writing poetry a lot more lately. It's fucking awesome. I have such a heightened appreciation for this writing medium. Please comment, even if you don't feel comfortable with poetry - honestly it's just writing with different line breaks :P]



Minstrel


You are the soundtrack to my life,
sitting inside my ribcage and plucking
veins like harp strings to tell me no
one feels about me the way you do.

You make me scream when you move inside my
chest, straightening your back and fingers
from your concentrated space so you can sing
more comfortably.

I have to sit down because my knees shake
when you do this to me, as if I’m done
from a thousand meter sprint and my muscles burn from your
cheering me on.



and



when the wallflower decides to

act beautiful,
cameras' digital flashes gasp,
highlighting insipid jawlines –

killer looks mask numbness.
overenthusiastic photographers quantify.

rouge stains
timidity under veins,
while xenophobic yens zero-in.


[This one is an alphabet poem, if you didn't already realize - so it uses, "chronologically", each letter from the alphabet as the first letter of each consecutive word.]

2 comments:

Chasch said...

Marta, I quite enjoyed the first one. Some of the visuals creeped me out, of course, especially: "you make me scream when you move inside my chest". Also, "soundtrack to my life" is the title of a song by hip hop artist kid cudi, but you probably didn't know that so it's OK.

I really enjoyed the second poem! And of course the trick with the alphabet made it all the more ingenious. I still don't understand how you managed to make something cohesive and meaningful with such an enormous restriction. I especially loved the first stanza.

Well done! And do keep posting poetry, I think you're very good at it.

Marta said...

Thanks so much! :D I did not know that was a song title, just for the record. Ugh. I was uncertain about that line to begin with I think I'll change it. The second was a lot of fun to write.