Tuesday, March 30, 2010

1. Bereshith

That was the summer of the storm;
the summer of no summers, of
buds plucked and husked by the winds
and sown to foreign lands
before they flourished.
Sheepherder I, not to lead any flock
but to cease being led.
(home is brick and burning oil
but here I breathe alone!)

then the thunder like a trembling sky-drum
darker, faster,
gathering dust,
tosses hearts like frightened birds
up, up, up

and begins

2. Prolegomenes
no no brilliant guy high school knew him deaf cochlear impla--anyways last week batshit crazy no note or anything gone. empty apartment mountains scrawled on the drywall. god knows where.

3. Kyrie
the churches are full, so I
sit in my pew and
dream I am a bird
that was about to sing
but decided to fly--
to cut through thick and foggy air
not for beauty but for movement--
and falls from the branch into the wind.

bells catch me before the air does
so I follow my mother's skirts
to the candles.

beside me, older than old, green-man
leaf-man, vine-man,
flesh from the soil.

My mother tells me of rebirth and I listen
As though not yet--but soon--
some crop has failed.

4. Broadcast from the archives
And last year's summer
like a beaten dog, falling halfway
and dragging--howling--
as we shed our winter coats.

everyone in everyone in everyone
--then picnics in the basement with mice
and canned peaches and static from the CBC

the world an endless thirsty ground--
and so we walked.

5. Damascus
O our brothers! they said
And followed me
as though I knew the way.

We are the shattered roots of this earth
that stumble up mountains like drunken trees.

(And mother said, hold tight--hold on
I can't be left behind.
And all of us with shopping carts
And only dead to find!)

north north north
there is the snow there are the trees
there are the reapers singing songs
in fields that yield all autumn long
with voices sweet as honeydew
to steer the aimless wanderer true
beyond the wastes and mountains steep
(for we have memories we keep
from all the miles) ANOTHER ONE

After rifling--three dollars
two birds
three photographs (combustible)

6. We melt into rain
Sharna pax and up the pole
Riddley walks and drags the old
   dib dib dib dib 
DOB DOB DOB DOB DOB

and so we march
with dust on the breath.

7. Brendan the Navigator
 his eyes!
oh his eyes
open and unblinking

terrifying to find him
alone on the crag
tense as the string
of an aeolian harp

but nothing, 
nothing
next to the eyes.

scarred and blunted 
as though some shde of fire
had passed its hand
over his sight,
as though the storm
had borne him up,
folded him in movement 
and showed him--

what pulls a soul to higher parts
if only the feeling of infinity
pressing down,
down, down?

We shoved dirt onto him until he stirred

8. To Cure the Dead by Lightning
When summer folded into fall
And we heard winter's quiet call
We took our men to holy tents
And gave our blood for temperance
To choose he who would call the rain.
O hornèd god--o sickle-veined!
O saviour knotted to the oak
Beneath the virgins' fires stoked
until the sky wept from our strife.
(And so a green death brought back life.)

9. Ban Martre
(They found me on the mountain but
there is no pain here--
there are no eyes to pierce you here.)

Three men to bind him on the rocks

(I wished for blindness but there were no crows)

Listen (leave him) for the drums!

(but I saw it once)
and he will hang until he brings
(I was once wind)
and he will hang until we hear it
he will hang until
(this is the way the world
this is the way
this is the)
power and the glory 
and after us
(after me the)
after

rain
rain
rain
rain
rain.

This is my final project for English 1800-Present. Modernist style, romantic context. Does it work? Please critique and let me know. Sorry for the length. Too much Eliot in me.

1 comment:

Emlyn said...

Greenamn story yes? like Forests of the Heart by Charles De Lint?

I need more context about what you are trying to do to say if it worls i think.

Some of them I didnt find fit as well...maybe it's because i just didnt understand how they fit (and am exhausted)
2. Prolegomenes
not sure where this fits in...modern school kid as greenman?
5. Damascus
I Love the lines
We are the shattered roots of this earth
that stumble up mountains like drunken trees.

but again didnt really see the green man theme...if that was your theme?

good poems though overall! strong language and powerful lines!