Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Re[venge]

I am your non-linear sense of time, making it possible for you to feel exactly the same way as you did months, weeks, days ago. I take no notice of the intervening heartbreaks and joys; I pay no attention to how you’ve grown or regressed; I have no care for the emotions I stir up and I am here to make you remember.

I am your late-night heart palpitation, coming with neither rhyme nor reason, my own internal logic dictating when and if I plague you. I want to stir you up, make you deliciously uncomfortable, and I simply do not care that you decided to never feel this way again. I am familiar, I am deadly, and I am here to make you remember.

I am your memory, pouring myself down over your synapses, flowing with sickly fluidity through every moment. I push past all of the things occupying your mind and fashion myself into phantoms with which you daily battle; I simmer over the stove of your consciousness, tempting, taunting, haunting you, and I am here to make you regret.


I'm happier with the idea of this piece than I am with the execution thereof.

1 comment:

Marta said...

I could see this being a really epic beginning to a story. Or even a great beginning / midpoint / ending. I liked it, I don't feel that it was an awful execution or anything! The only thing I think that could be improved is that I wanted to know more about the general situation and what was going on. It seemed to lead up to somewhere but then it ended. So yeah. If you fleshed it out and put stuff after/in between I think this really has potential! Eloquently written, as always. I particularly liked the first line of the first paragraph and the idea of "simmering over the stove of your consciousness". It was such a distinct mental image.