Friday, January 8, 2010

Unwelcome

Tired of holding
This fucking
Torch for you
Who can’t view
Me in the light
That I see so bright
Around you
You can’t do
Wrong in my eyes
That can’t lie
And not reveal
Exactly what I feel
Every fucking time
An imagined crime
Against my fragile heart
And it tears me apart
Breaking at my seams
Laughing at my stupid dreams
I thought it was hidden
That no one could see in
And know what I hoped
What a joke
Now laughter is ringing
In my ears, like the singing
Of a dirge, unmistakable funeral march
Fantastical procession under that last arch
But I can’t give you up, can’t rid you from
The space in my mind you occupy unwelcome
(You’re unwelcome, and I’m not thankful)



So I'm not sure how I feel about this poem; I wanted to try something a bit different, not sure about the result. Comments, Criticisms, Thoughts and Suggestions are appreciated.

2 comments:

Bram said...

Great poem... though kinda heartwrenching. Lotsa angst. Is this a love gone wrong? A desire unrequited? I realize not all poetry is art imitating life, though in Leonard Cohen's case it probably is more often than not. I remember in my high school yearbook I had a poem published about suicide and I'm still here so.... LOL

In any case, it is a soulful piece. Truthful to be sure.

Emlyn said...

Thank you.To be honest it is both love gone wrong and desire unrequited. Most of my poetry (when it can be called art), is art imitating life. I would agree in Leonard Cohen's case it probably is more often than not. I'm glad you saw the reference.