Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Twofer

I don't believe in backlogs.


PS from WEDNESDAY: I just read Tabia's e-mail through a series of coincidences, because she sent it to my MSN address, which I never, ever use for mail. Sorry. These stay, though. I will have Tabia's style... next week? I guess.


Please comment anyway?


across from the stage and under the trees
I am the only one today
who ran over snow.
The rest took to their sidewalks
as if they were stairs or the
tongues of some cosmic hibernating reptile
tasting the air.

oh, I understand them--
snow so new so lily-white,
breath of virgin lips--

so rather than waiting
I throw myself, pilgrim
whose feet kiss the earth
as he walks.


birdsong
birdsong! cut the summer air.
the wind is a perch that
never ceases to elevate.
like some kind of
glorious abstraction of the earth
the day is suddenly yours--
your beak gold enamelling,
your song a requiem
to oak and leave and
the drowning of our voices.

you summon us to pyres
and rob us of our melancholy--
better to leave! we think
rather than shake the branches
and catch the fluttering feathery heart
with open hands.

no;
if we refuse,
if we are mute
before our gift of glory
to keratin and bone,
it is no coincidence:
it is because we heard you
every time we cleared our throats
and were about to sing.

1 comment:

Emlyn said...

"across from the stage and under the trees" is the poem I like best out of the two, and the first stanza of the first poem is my favorite.
"as if they were stairs or the tongues of some cosmic hibernating reptile tasting the air." is a brillaint image (and my favorite line.)

I found the ending of birdsong sad, the birds preventing us from singing; powerful though.