Thursday, November 5, 2009

Well There's Always The Final

My TA is gay.
He comes out in one of our conferences. Randomly mentions it in one of his rants, and proceeds to cover it up with a bunch of philosophical terminologies, grappling his way back on topic. He speaks faster than I've ever heard him, a single droplet of sweat trickles across his brow and down his pronounced jawline. He shakes in his seat, tries to disguise it by re-adjusting himself. I don't know if people notice it or not, because I sit in front, closest to him, can feel his shaking leg rumble my chair.
Everyone is silent, and his on-topic comment and discussion question has fallen on deaf ears. They stare at their fingers and even seem to inch away from him, edging towards the door. The disappointment is clear on his face, and he dismisses us early.

My TA is gay.
But my conference is homophobic.
I wonder how he'll mark us down for participation.
Just because you're gay doesn't mean you're a good person.

8 comments:

Mike Carrozza said...

This felt odd.

Chasch said...

The last sentence made me laugh inside my head.

Emlyn said...

is this a true story Tabia?

tabs said...

It is not.

Francis said...

Who is the good guy Tabia?

tabs said...

Don't know.
Certainly not the narrator for remaining silent, either.

Chasch said...

Moral ambiguity is amazing.

Marta said...

I liked the idea, but I felt the last four lines were out of place. Well, the last two. But I don't think you could just eliminate them because then the first two of the last four wouldn't pack enough of a punch. I don't know. You had something good going, but I felt it ended too soon, or just gave up, or just nothing happened. I'd see this as an excerpt of a larger piece. Because it was interesting, but left me feeling unsatisfied.