Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Abecedarian

It's been a tough week, creatively speaking, so have a previous work--Monday's Abecedarian. Untitled as of now.


aimless under
broken streetlights we let
causal notions of the sidewalk
draw us home.
enough of stepping, we think,
forever losing balance to move forward.
god, if only life were escalators!
hope is last century but I swear
I would stay near the railing and
just look at the advertisements on the sides,
knowing that at
least I'm
moving.
nothing would give me more pleasure than
opening it all up, cracking through asphalt and gravel,
pulp of the city glistening and exposed, city
qua city in our minds being (and
rightly so ) electricity under wires, breath and
sweat and
tears of the living and the dead
under all the pressure of buildings of
video conference and nothing without us
walking on it and pushing forward like
Xeno's paradox disproven.
yes--it's better to walk,
zenith passed or approaching.

3 comments:

Chasch said...

I really really really like this. I don't have words to express why, I just do. Brilliant!

Marta said...

I REALLY loved the opening

"aimless under
broken streetlights we let
causal notions of the sidewalk
draw us home."

but I didn't find the rest lived up to it. Maybe because it was disconnected? I felt as though the beginning didn't quite fit with the rest. I like the idea behind the piece, but the writing wasn't as strong as usual. You write in such fabulous poetic verse and this just....wasn't. I guess I'm just comparing it too much to your other work. It IS good, just not fabulous.

Marta said...

But I really like the opening. I just read it two more times and it's fantastic.