Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I am not ashamed of this

http://www.mydatanest.com/files/scathmandra/19004_zqbcj/meter.mp3

Okay, maybe I am.


If I had salt and sea and time

I'd twist them to unearthly rhyme

Resplendent in their curlicue.

And through the water I'd form you,

A droplet spattered on the sand--

A droplet from a trembling hand--

A shadow twisted in the sun;

And I would cry and rage, undone

Before the temple of the sky

That stands above those righteous cries

Like lifeblood in the memory's veins;

And crying to the sun in pain

To burn me from this twisted place

I would look up and see—your face.

5 comments:

Chasch said...

Bernard, you're turning into Leonard Cohen, which is pretty awesome -- I think...

Curlicue is a beautiful word which I did not know about, thank you.
However, I think "temple of the sky" is problematic. It fits in a Bernard poem, but unfortunately I don't think it fits in a song. Even a Bernard song.

That's just my opinion. Thanks for the song!

Emlyn said...

It's beautiful, words and music and everything. Thank you for the song Bernard, and I think temple of the sky does fit, the line a shadow twisted in the sun is myabe my favorite, but the whole song is beautiful.

Jessica said...

What's this? Bernard RHYMING? Needless to say, I approve. Of everything.
I like the idea of "through the water I'd form you" - it strikes me as a nicely understated commentary on how we build people up in our minds to something different than they really are.
And "lifeblood in the memory's veins" is positively gorgous.
I'm not sure how I feel about this disputed "temple of the sky" line. I think I'm leaning to the it-doesn't-fit thing. Maybe. Don't quote me on that.

tabs said...

I miss you a significantly large amount. You...kind of need to come back.
At..a time when I can come too :P
I agree with Charles, though. Albeit he put it in better words than I would have.

Chasch said...

Tabia needs to take lessons in tact.

Actually, no she doesn't, because her comments are always delicious!