Saturday, September 26, 2009

The one with the turquoise pendant on the front

Took this from my blog. Sorry if you've read it.

There was a woman sitting there there. I couldn't help myself from taking a glance. One glance led to a second which was followed by a third. When I felt sure she was entirely absorbed by the words she was reading in the book clasped in his hands, I began to look. I examined her. Unfairly, I passed judgment on what I saw.

I had been told as a child never to judge a book by its cover. I later concluded that it was unfortunate that when I received books as presents, they always had elaborately designed fronts. Some of them gave the impression that more time had been spent on the cover than the content.

The girl was stunning. Not particularly beautiful by nature. Simply, she was well adorned with the latest fashions and made-up with such attention to detail that there was no where you could look that didn't turn you on. She wore a turquoise stone on a necklace which particularly caught my eye.

I wondered for a moment if she, as well, had been given books with pretty covers. I then stood up awkwardly, waited a moment for my misplaced lust to fix itself and exited the metro quickly.

3 comments:

Chasch said...

I love this.
I've also been lately thinking a whole lot about the nature of that expression, how it relates to people, how it relates to literature in a more popular sense.
There are few things as beautiful to me as a pretty woman reading in the metro.

tabs said...

I remember this.
I like it.
I don't remember the title.
I like it, too :)

Marta said...

I agree - the title is genius :) And I too find that expression a strange one. It's so universal it's just...taken over. Argh. But it's so hard not to do. Particularly with books, though.

...wow off topic. Okay I like this a lot. Good, concise and rounded up - just a nice little moment caught in words.